Parent Teacher Association
"Moving Forward Together"
To be an effective association in this country that will impact the school, home and community positively.
To create and implement programmes, structures and relationships with key stakeholders in our society that will move Barataria North Secondary School forward in a positive and successful manner.
Objectives of the PTA
1. To increase Parental involvement in the school.
2. To support parents, teachers and students to increase student success.
3. To collaborate with the school to improve services offered to students
4. To foster an environment for parents to address and deal with issues or concerns in school.
5. To improve communication with parents on issues affecting the school.
6. To lend financial support to programs for students and parents development.
7. To foster positive relationships with the school’s community.
8. To help improve the image of the school.
9. To create opportunities for Parent and Teacher Skills Training and Education.
10. To be recognized and function as a critical stakeholder being fully involved and participation in the operation of the school.
Expectation of Parents
• Become a member of the PTA and attend meetings regularly.
• Ensure that my child observes and adheres to all the school rules.
• Communicate and work with the teachers to ensure success.
• Spend time with my child by monitoring, disciplining and encouraging positive behaviors.
• Encourage your child to be regular and punctual at school.
• Seek help for problems which you may be encountering with your child.
• Provide children with opportunities for spiritual and moral growth and development.
Public Relations Officer
Local School Board
Local School Boards have been established in government schools at both the Primary and Secondary level by the Ministry of Education. This initiative taken by the Ministry of Education was seen as an instrumental move towards school based management and decentralization. School Based management has been identified as an important factor that results in improved levels of student achievement and school enrichment. Due to decentralization, authority would be given to all stakeholders giving them an opportunity to be a part of the decision-making process for improved quality, efficiency and effectiveness at schools.
Role of the Local School Board
The role of the Local School Board within the schools would be:
Duties and Power of the Local School Board
The duties and powers of the Board would all within three major categories:
The full duties and powers of the Board can be found in the Education (Local School Boards) Regulations, 2005
Composition of a Local School Board – (The term of a board constituted by order is 2 years).
By legal notice in accord with the Education (Local School Board) regulations 2000, a Board constituted by Order made under Section 23 of the Act shall comprise the following persons appointed by the Minister:
Members of Local School Board